Social media app that is popular with teenagers
VK is a social networking app that helps connect users with artists, musicians, and each other for free!
You can send your friends messages, share pictures and files, watch and swap videos, share entire albums and more, all on VK.
VK is originally a Russian alternative to Facebook; if you’re planning on traveling to, living, or working in Russia, it’s a must to have this on your phone. It’ll allow you to join different communities, play games with friends and strangers, and discover all the different and interesting subcultures at your fingertips here.
There are a few issues you should be aware of before you download. First, your saved photos aren’t visible to all users so you may not be able to share them. Second, the auto-translation tool doesn’t always work. Third, many users have reported that while viewing videos their phones freeze and they have to restart.
On the whole, VK is a great social networking app that helps you keep in contact with old friends and find new ones. Keep in mind that this is a Russian app, so you may need to rely on the translator at times.
- Find and Explore Thousands of Unique Communities You can find and explore thousands of unique communities, artists, bands and others – all for free!
- Play Games, Share Files, and Meet New People You can play games on VK, share files like videos, pictures, and music – but most importantly you can meet new people!
- The Translator Doesn’t Always Work And since many users on this app are Russian native speakers, this can be a bit of a problem.
- Lots of Ads Sometimes the ads can be so intrusive that they slow down the app.
We spent the holidays fixing errors.
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CALL_LOG: Allows an application to read the user's call log.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- WRITE_CONTACTS: Allows an application to write the user's contacts data.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- CHANGE_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to change Wi-Fi connectivity state.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to read the sync settings.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: Allows an app to create windows using the type TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT, shown on top of all other apps. Very few apps should use this permission; these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to write the sync settings.